Guide To Opening Your Own Bakery
Nobody can resist the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven, or the sight of delicious-looking cakes and pastries on the counter. Even when you’re on a diet, you can’t help but sneak a look. This is why bakeries are timeless. People are always drawn to them.
If you’re looking to open a bakery, the first thing you need to know is that it’s not always like what you see on TV. There’s a lot that goes into opening a bakery that requires more than sheer talent. Talent will fuel your business but proper planning will jumpstart it.
Just like any business, opening a bakery is a serious investment. To get you off to the right start, here are the ingredients to starting a successful bakery.
Your high level checklist:
- Plan and budget
- Engage a foodservice professional.
- Register the business.
- Research and secure finance options.
- Secure a site and lease.
- Obtain detailed bakery designs.
- Lodge council applications and licences.
- Compare and appoint a trusted shopfitter.
- Procure commercial food equipment.
- Advertise and interview employees.
- Research and open accounts with ingredient and product suppliers.
- Begin marketing the upcoming grand opening.
- Celebrate the opening of your new business.